[XML-SIG] Is anyone implementing EXI in Python?

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Fri Jul 17 17:01:12 CEST 2009

I think the issue here is the nature of the data exchange.  EXI
essentially provides a compression algorithm that saves information
between instances of a message or file and can be seeded with what is
known in advance about certain characteristics of the instances.  The gzip
algorithm learns the characteristics of each instance separately from that
instance and does not retain information between instances.

If you are occasionally sending a large file, gzip makes sense.  There is
little gain from retaining information.  However, if you have frequent
small messages or separate small files based on a schema, the namespace
definitions are repeated for each instance and can take up an appreciable
fraction of what is sent over-the-wire for each instance.  There isn't
much for gzip to learn, and it has to start all over for the next
instance.  Similarly, the tags recur across instances but gzip will only
learn them as it encounters them in a particular instance.  Again, gzip
forgets between instances.

I think in the absence of prior information and when used only
occasionally (without information retention between instances), EXI
provides something close to gzip compression.  What EXI provides is a
variant of compression technology that has information retention between
instances and the ability to use prior information across instances.  In
applications with frequent repetitive data exchanges, the information
retention and ability to use prior information can provide significant
benefits.

Stan Klein