[XML-SIG] docbook 5, lxml and rng

Tim Arnold Tim.Arnold at sas.com
Mon Jun 1 16:14:53 CEST 2009

Thanks, I should have looked at the documentation more before posting. I see what you're talking about now and I think I might have an explanation of what's going on.
The error_log says:
---------------------
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_ELEMWRONG: Did not expect element para there
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_ELEMNAME: Expecting element example, got para
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_ELEMNAME: Expecting element bridgehead, got para
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_EXTRACONTENT: Element para has extra content: text
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_ELEMNAME: Expecting element annotation, got para
4:0:ERROR:RELAXNGV:RELAXNG_ERR_CONTENTVALID: Element article failed to validate content

But my libxml2 version is 5, which I think means that schematron isn't supported. And the docbook.rng contains some embedded schematron. From the DocBook 5 documentation:
If you want to validate against the DocBook 5 RelaxNG schema, then you have to find the right validation tool. The DocBook 5 RelaxNG schema includes embedded Schematron rules to express certain constraints on some content models. For example, a Schematron rule is added to prevent a sidebar element from containing another sidebar. For complete validation, a validator needs to check both the RelaxNG content models and the Schematron rules.

Does that make sense?
thanks,
--Tim Arnold