[XML-SIG] PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Wed Nov 18 05:18:41 CET 2009

PyXML has two 'extension' modules (modules written in C instead of Python):

_xmlplus.parsers.pyexpat (needed by PyExpat)
_xmlplus.parsers.sgmlop (needed by sgmlop)

After they're built and installed, they become accessible as
xml.parsers.pyexpat and xml.parsers.sgmlop, respectively.

You can't build Python C extension modules without a C compiler, and, for
reasons we must just accept, it has to be the same compiler that was used to
make the Python executable you're using. You apparently don't have the
compiler you need installed. Maybe you don't have one at all. That's why you
got the error message. The compiler you're being told you need is Visual
Studio 6 / VC6, which is old but not free (officially). This also suggests
you're using Windows, so it's probably worth mentioning whether you're using
ActiveState's Python or the official python.org distribution, as it can make a
difference when people try to help you.

But first I would take a step back and ask why you need PyXML.
Which component of PyXML do you think you need, and why?

You mentioned Zope. AFAIK, PyXML is only needed for Martijn Faassen's "XPath
Methods" product. That product relies on PyXML and the venerable 4Suite
0.11.1. Is this why you're trying to get PyXML installed? You might be better
off looking for a Zope product which gives you access to ElementTree, if not
lxml.etree.

My ability to help you, in any case, is going to be limited. I just wanted
to help you understand the error message and get you to explain more about
what you're trying to accomplish.