[XML-SIG] PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Sudesh Soni soni_sks at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 03:40:34 CET 2009

Thanks Dieter. I will try this.

With regards
Sudesh

________________________________
From: Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
To: Sudesh Soni <soni_sks at yahoo.com>
Cc: xml-sig at python.org
Sent: Thu, November 19, 2009 2:14:28 AM
Subject: Re: [XML-SIG] PyXML installation in Zope2.8.5

Sudesh Soni wrote at 2009-11-18 08:14 -0800:
>Thanks Dieter,
>
>Other than gzip file and I could find an exe for PYXML installation , but the problem is that, during installation it cannot locate the python2.3 that is in zope 2.8 itself, instead it looks in the windows registry.
>Suggest.

I am sure there is a workaround. Unfortunately, I am no Windows expert...

Under *nix, I have seen a similar situation and approached it as follows:

  Situation: Operating system distributions often come with their own
  python package and associated extension packages. Their package management
  makes it often far more easy to install an OS package than
  generate a Python package by hand (at least before "easy_install" and PyPI).

  Approach: Install via the operating system package management
  and then copy the files and directories over to the Python installation
  you need them in. Of course, this requires that the OS Python
  is similar enough to the target Python.

I do not know where the standard Python is installed under Windows.
But, the registry should tell you.
The relevant directory contains probably some
"\lib\python<version>\site-packages". ("\lib\python<version>" might be missing
unter Windows). There subdirectories containing "xml" are relevant
and need to be copied to the target Python installation.

Probably, there is an easier approach. I expect (but am not sure)
that the installer can be told via a parameter to use a secondary
Python installation. Look whether you can find installation instructions.
Or try typical ways to determine what parameters can be provided
to an executable ("<exe> /help", "<exe> /h", or similar).

--
Dieter