[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 8 22:51:58 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> It is usual for a survey/poll of an email list to produce less than
> 10% turnout.  So people need to be prepared to accept the possibility
> that a small number of people will make the decisions.  The important
> thing is that everyone is invited to participate.
>
> Does this sound ok to people?

Not really.  I believe in apathy as a force for good: if that few people
believe something is wrong with "BayPIGgies" as the name for the group,
they should not enforce their will.  I think any referendum on the name
must have a quorum of at least one third of the group, and I think that
the new name must achieve a solid majority of that quorum in addition to
2/3 of the voters agreeing that they dislike "BayPIGgies".

On a separate note, I think that any voting mechanism must have as few
barriers as possible.  The survey that Stephen is setting up requires
cookies and JavaScript; that is not acceptable for a vote on the group
name.

Finally, I believe in unranked approval voting as a mechanism.  The
survey should have three questions:

* Do you think that the name of the BayPIGgies group should be changed?
Yes/No/Don't Care

* What names are acceptable to you (list all of them; do NOT list any
names you dislike)?

* What names do you hate (list all of them)?

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet