[Baypiggies] Publicity?

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Sat Apr 15 19:53:25 CEST 2006

At 10:25 AM 4/15/2006, Aahz wrote:
>Publicity?  What's that?  ;-)

Publicity is what some other groups do at our meetings ;-)

>I don't think
>growth per se should be one of our goals, just making sure that people
>who want to find us can.

Stating a non-goal is not useful when the goals themselves are not
articulated.  So ....

Goals
-----
1) Serve as a learning and information exchange forum
2) Promote the local (an global) Python economy

Publicity promotes goal 1 by getting our existence better known.  Publicity
serves goal 2 by perhaps reaching synergistic constituencies (hiring
managers, company technical leads, startup infrastructure, ...)

>Announcements of meetings go to c.l.py and c.l.py.announce in
>addition to the BayPIGgies list.

Well, it is a start

>Before anyone puts much effort into publicity, I'd like to see more
>evidence that we need publicity.

Publicity is a means to achieving certain goals.  We need to come to some
understanding of goals.  I can state my goals (see above) and publicity
fits into them.

>... I'm not going to stop it (unless the
>publicity is being handled in a way that I think is detrimental to
>BayPIGgies).

Fair enough.  "Detrimental to BayPIGgies" is clearly NOT a goal.