[Distutils] stdeb-0.3 error

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Sep 21 04:49:04 CEST 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Ok, here is the simplest way that I got stdeb working on Hardy:
> $ easy_install stdeb  # installs 0.3
> copied stdeb egg to workarea and edited util.py and removed all
> "--single-version-externally-managed" options
> repackaged egg
> copied egg back to site-packages
OK, but now your packages built with stdeb going to be (even more)
different from standard Debian/Ubuntu Python packages -- they're going
to install their files as an .egg (directory or zip file). For example,
do "dpkg --contents python-my-package_1.0-1.deb" and compare that to
standard python packages.

> Now dpkg-buildpackage is happy and no more complaints about
> unrecognized option or missing dependencies.
>
> So my question is this: can you make a special version of the current
> stdeb 0.3 without the --single-version-externally-managed options and
> put it into your hardy repo?
No -- I already have debhelper 7 and friends in my hardy repo. If I put
stdeb in at all, it would be 0.4. I won't go back to stdeb 0.3,
especially a broken version of 0.3.

> This would be much easier and less worrisome to hardy users than
> trying to get them to upgrade a lot of different packages.
I don't have enough time to work on stdeb as-is, and my development
efforts going forward will continue to use debhelper 7 and
python-support, not to work on backporting stuff. I can say my packages
are installed on lots of hardy machines (over 20 at last count) and
haven't caused troubles that I know of. I'm careful to put the source
online, too, in case you want to look at my changes or compile yourself.

If you want to work off the "old-stable" branch in my github account,
that's where the 0.3 branch still lives.

Anyhow, if you come up with a bdist_deb type patch, I'd be interested to
take a look and could probably merge it from the old-stable branch onto
the master branch.

-Andrew