[Distutils] stdeb-0.3 error

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Sep 21 07:17:12 CEST 2009

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Ok, here is the simplest way that I got stdeb working on Hardy:
>> $ easy_install stdeb  # installs 0.3
>> copied stdeb egg to workarea and edited util.py and removed all
>> "--single-version-externally-managed" options
>> repackaged egg
>> copied egg back to site-packages
>>
> OK, but now your packages built with stdeb going to be (even more)
> different from standard Debian/Ubuntu Python packages -- they're going
> to install their files as an .egg (directory or zip file). For example,
> do "dpkg --contents python-my-package_1.0-1.deb" and compare that to
> standard python packages.

Ok, I just built a .deb using modified stdeb 0.3 on hardy and looked at
the contents and it's like this:
./usr/share/pyshared/myapp/dir1/...(list of files)
./usr/share/pyshared/myapp/dir2/...
./usr/share/pyshared/myapp/dir3/...

I don't see anything about egg.  And it looks very similar to other .deb
in /var/cache that I checked.
How much difference would I see if it was egg?

Regards,
Gerry