[Distutils] something else to throw into the static metadata mix

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Sep 30 22:58:56 CEST 2009

2009/9/30 Sridhar Ratnakumar <sridharr at activestate.com>

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:26:15 -0700, <cgalvan at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>  I agree with Tarek that the system dependency handling is not something
>> that should be dealt with in the python package metadata.  The best thing
>> that can be hoped for is that packages which rely on a specific version of a
>> system dependency will throw a descriptive error indicating this particular
>> problem.  The MySQL_python project is one example of a project that is
>> already doing this, since they throw an ImportError with a descriptive title
>> in this case.
>>

> The other option could be to enable support for static linking so as to
> make the egg a reasonably self-sufficient binary (eg: lxml's --static flag
> to setup.py)

Just to throw more in the mix -- this option is totally ad hoc in lxml,
which means it's hard to handle in an installer like easy_install or pip.
That is, there's no good way to do "easy_install --static lxml" (it's more
possible in pip, but still quite awkward).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker