[Distutils] something else to throw into the static metadata mix

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Wed Sep 30 23:05:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:58:56 -0700, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com>
wrote:

> The other option could be to enable support for static linking so as to
> make the egg a reasonably self-sufficient binary (eg: lxml's --static
> flag to setup.py)
> Just to throw more in the mix -- this option is totally ad hoc in lxml,
> which means it's hard to handle in an installer like easy_install or
> pip.  That is, there's no good way to do "easy_install --static lxml"
> (it's more possible in pip, but still quite awkward).

Maybe we can standardize the ``--static`` flag for setup.py and
installers? The benefit of this is that builders and installers can
support a static build feature without having to hack build scripts for
specific packages (Currently PyPM's backend maintains custom code for
building such special packages).

Examples of usage::

   $ python setup.py build --static install
   $ easy_install --static lxml
   $ pip install --install-option="--static" pip

-srid