[Edu-sig] Thanks for the tip

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:50:50 -0400

Chris

Yes Delighted you picked up on the book :-)

I believe a remarkable model of how a new kind of teaching can be done.. I
wish this were available in every Public and School library.
I would love to see it Python-ized. In other words publish a new edition:

Who is Fourier? A mathematical Adventure with Python

This should not be too hard to do, since the book is so well structured. It
could be another valuable curriculum tool to add those already being
developed by Edu-sig members.

Inspired by the book and curious about its origins, I did attend a 'Hippo
Family Club' meeting in Manhattan some months ago and mentioned I was
interested in extending the book...  'Hippo' is the multi-lingual
pan-cultural organization, some of whose members wrote "Who is Fourier?" and
the Quantum Mechanics follow-up. My interest in extensions would be:

1.  Web-ify the text and add interactive Flash illustrations
2.  CDROM edition
3.  Pythonize it as new edition book
4.  Pythonize it as new edition book with CD-ROM and some appropriate
focused shell/IDE [wxPython/PythonCard/??]
5.  Go further with new work in the spirit of Who is Fourier

The immediate problem is perhaps you don;t know what I am talking about:
that most people on this list may not be familiar with the book.. I wish I
could send you all a copy for Xmas.. or perhaps buy an extra copy and mail
out along with mine so we circulate it..? [Edu-Sig nomadics library]

Open to your good suggestions as always, and curious to get feedback on The
Quantum Mechanics [I still don't have a copy myself]

regards
- Jason

Who Is Fourier? : A Mathematical Adventure
by Alan Gleason (Translator), Yo Sakakibara (Introduction),
Transnational College of LEX
Price: $24.95
Paperback (May 1995)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964350408/qid%3D1002836293/ref%3Dsr%