[Edu-sig] Namespaces in the Humanities

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 05:45:55 CEST 2006

On 9/13/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> He renamed 3d, in an "I know something you don't" sort of way.

Not really.  We say 3D because we think height (1), width (2) and
depth (3) come apart as isolatable components of volume.  You can have
one (any one) with out the others.

Really?

Anyway, if you conceive of volume as primordial, as rock bottom, then
you might reconsider why a "3" and not a "4".

Why start with 3 when the most primitive volume has 4 vertices and 4 faces?

It's not a completely insane proposal, and it's not like you have to
buy into it to the exclusion of every other paradigm.

What's cool about namespaces is you can always change channels (if
you're mentally limber -- there're limits...).

Anyway, it's a remote namespace, quite alien and "out there".

I mostly say 3D like an ordinary person.  When in Rome...