[Edu-sig] 3,4,10, 17 dimensions

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Sep 14 07:03:31 CEST 2006

Not really apropos to Python, but since the discussion veered into 4D:

There's a great flash animation on how to visualize 10 dimensions
(companion to a book on the same subject):
http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

My favorite redefinition of dimensions (but I can't find it anymore
and don't remember where I came across it) was based on rotations.
The idea is that we perceive 3 dimensions because the Greeks made the
math work out, but we don't really live in perfect 3 spacial (height,
depth, width) dimensions any more than there are dimensionless lines
which go on to infinity, or infinite perfect planes, or spheres.
Bucky called them on the dimensionless geometry, but I don't think he
was the one who planted rotation-based dimensions in my head.

So, instead of living in 3-D space, we live on a rotating sphere.
The rotation of the earth on its axis is one dimension.  The rotation
of the earth around the sun is another dimension, the rotation of the
sun around the Galactic core is another.  The rotation of the galaxy
relative to other galaxies is a further dimension.  Of course, the
dimensions go down, too.  Rotation of electrons around the nucleus of
an atom is one dimension, electron spin is another, etc.  I think
they had something like 17 dimensions labeled, and it was easy to
visualize, and incorporated time (since rotations and orbits are all
movement over time), so time did not have to be a seperate, isolated
component.  The whole thing is kind of wacky, and probably come from
some fringe cult like Urantia (I sat through one of their lectures as
a kid, and it seemed to have some good ideas for a science fiction
novel).

I forget how many dimensions are required by superstring theory this
week (the 10 dimensions guy claims 10, but I know the answer has
varied with the development of the theory, and not all proponents of
superstring theory agree on the number of dimensions needed), but for
me, thinking of them as these various rotations helps me keep it in
perspective, even if it isn't an accurate map of the territory.

--Dethe