[Mailman-Users] Sendmail performance

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Thu Jan 9 07:00:35 CET 2003

In message <av9u4k$mh6$1 at main.gmane.org>
	so spake "David Gibbs" (david):

> I've got an instance of sendmail listening specifically on 127.0.0.1 ... can
> anyone point me to some information on how to disable synchronous dns
> verification in sendmail?

The TUNING file in the sendmail directory of recent sendmail versions
is well worth reading.

I find it simplest to put the following in my sendmail mc file:
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`address=localhost, Port=24, Name=NCMSA, M=EC')

And then have mailman deliver to localhost, port 24.

Normally, sendmail will attempt to canonify the hostnames of each
address Mailman submits to it--this requires a DNS lookup.  The 'C'
in the M (Modifier) option disables canonification.  This is safe
to do for mail injected by Mailman, though it is not something I
would recommend for incoming mail.  Port 24 is reserved for private
mail systems so it seems like a good fit.  And it's only listening
on localhost anyway.

 - todd