[Mailman-Users] htdig integration patches

Steve Huston huston at astro.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jan 22 00:41:22 CET 2003

I've applied the patches, but have had a few problems.  I emailed Richard
Barrett through sourceforge, and don't know if you got it, so I'll start with
what I've figured out since then.

Should line 1485 of htdig-2.1-0.2.patch read "if (not ctype) or cencode:"
instead of reading "if not (ctype and cencode):"?  Because with the way it
was, when I clicked on a found item from a search, it tried to download the
file as type application/octet-stream, but changing it to (not ctype) or
cencode lets it come properly as text/html.  That one took a bit to figure :>

Another thing I noticed is that it seems there are quite a few references in
the code to "DEFAULT_URL", but I believe that changed to "DEFAULT_URL_HOST";
setting DEFAULT_URL to the same thing made some of the error messages I'd
received actually work instead of dumping Python (somewhere in make_inserts).

Lastly, I'm a little confused by one way things fit together.  Granted, it
works, but... Why does the htdig script make its results point to itself?  For
example, if I search for 'foo', and find an instance, the URL that the result
points to is "http://host/mailman/htdig/listname/2003-January/000006.html".  I
tried setting HTDIG_ARCHIVE_URL to "/pipermail/" instead to get it to output
the links as "http://host/pipermail/listname/2003-January/000006.html", but
this seemed to have no effect.  Perhaps this works differently than I'm
thinking, but it seems more resource-effective to have the link point right to
the file instead of going through another cgi, when we know the location of
the file we're trying to get.

Please, call me an idiot, and explain why :>

--
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Administrator, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285