[Mailman-Users] Trouble avoiding footer as attachment

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun Jul 11 13:30:33 CEST 2004

At 11:38 AM +0200 2004-07-11, Jan Eri wrote:

>  According to
>  <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.008.htp>
>  I expected that to be enough. But still some (not all) of the messages
>  are coming through with the footer as attachment. What have I done wrong?

	I am glad to see that you've already read the page at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>.
This is good.

	However, the problem is that even if Mailman is stripping
everything but multipart/mixed, multipart/alternative and text/plain,
and converts text/html to text/plain, you're still allowing those
MIME types through.  If a MIME formatted message comes into the
system and you go to add footers to it, Mailman has to encapsulate
the original message into a multipart/mixed and then add a text/plain
section at the bottom which contains the footers.

	Unfortunately, some MUAs do not interpret correctly a MIME
formatted message which encapsulates another MIME formatted message,
and the footers end up getting displayed as an attachment.

	I guess I should update the FAQ entry at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>
to make this issue more clear.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755