[Mailman-Users] A plug for Mailman-phpBB-Mail2Forum.com-qmail integration

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Mon Jun 6 02:49:54 CEST 2005

Hello Mailman admins,

I recently configured an email and web server serving phpBB and Mailman to
"bridge" email lists to phpBB forums.  This includes managing attachments
between the forums and email lists.

This works so well that I thought I would share.

It's really really really really really cool.  Did I mention it was really
cool?

It makes every email-list archive mechanism look foolish, imho, and it has
the added benefit of taking all the phpBB posts and sending them to the
email list as well.  Among other things, this allows an existing
phpBB-based community (and all of its discussion content) to transparently
integration with a Mailman-based community...all while both sides not
knowing that the other side was plugged in (other then seeing new
discussion content/posts/emails from new users from "the other side")!  No
more segregation between forum-based and email-based communities talking
about the same thing (or at least, the technical obstacles seem to now have
been greatly lowered).

One can also import existing Mailman archives to a phpBB forum via Mail2Forum.

I realize there are references to Mail2Forum.com already in the GNU Mailman
FAQ, but I thought it worth mentioning here again, given that I just got my
"virtual domain" server running all this stuff, seemingly quite
well.  (However...it's a private server, behind an SSL "firewall", so I'm
not inclined to open things up to a public demo/usage...yet.)

I have a placeholder info doc here:

http://www.mail2forum.com/wiki/index.php?page=Mail2Forum-phpBB-qmail-GNUMailman-Apache%20integration

One can also find lots more info here:

http://www.mail2forum.com/
http://www.mail2forum.com/forums/

A side note:

if you want to manage virtual domains on your server, then qmail's
functionality far surpasses postfix's implementation.  qmail's vpopmail is
soooooo easy to manage (once you get the thing setup, of course), AND it
has the .qmail files for STDIN content forwarding needed for the above
stuff (unless you want to hack it with cron jobs), while postfix virtual
domains setup takes much configuration with maps and even then can not
support .forward/.qmail based stuff.  I have both installed on my server
and have tested them, and qmail is the clear winner.

Granted, the qmail architecture seems to be growing older and more
antiquated every day, but until Postfix can get it's
virtual-domain-management house in order, there's really no choice for me.

-Matt