[Mailman-Users] urgent help needed (removing messages from archive)

Christopher Adams chris.a.adams at state.or.us
Tue May 3 01:18:57 CEST 2005

Here is what you posted, with a little more detail. You need command line access to Mailman.

Locate the message in the web archives and load it up for reference.

Stop the mailman runner so the mailbox won't be touched while you're working
cd /home/mailman && bin/mailman stop

Back up the list archives for the list you're editing:
cd /home/mailman/archives/private
mkdir listname.backup
cp -pr listname listname.mbox listname.backup/

Edit the mbox file in vi or something...
vi listname.mbox/listname.mbox

Find the message you want and replace its content with a "this message deleted" message.
Do not remove the entire message, as this will cause URLs to later messages in the archive to break!

Rebuild the list archives:
cd /home/mailman && bin/arch --wipe listname

Reload that message from the web archives and make sure it looks ok.

Start the mailman runner:
bin/mailmanctl start