[Mailman-Users] mbox archives

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 19 21:04:37 CEST 2005

Jean-Philippe GIOLA wrote:

>i'm a new mailman user and I want to know why in the archives
>(.../archives/public/...) there is for a list only a directory and in
>that directory a txt file or a tarball file, and why sometimes there is
>an another directory for the same list with a mbox extension with the
>mbox file in it ??

I'm not sure I understand the question, but here's some information.

The archives/public/ directory normally only contains symlinks to the
respective archives/private/<listname> directories for lists with
public archives.

The archives/private/ directory normally contains two sub-directories
per list. These are archives/private/<listname>/ and
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/. The archives/private/<listname>/
directory contains the pipermail archive files for the list and the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/ directory contains a <listname>.mbox
file which is a Unix mbox format file containing all the messages in
the archive. This list cumulative mbox file is useful as a backup for
rebuilding the archive if necessary and can be made availabe through
the web interface for searching.

See mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py settings for ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX and PUBLIC_MBOX.

The various periodic .txt and .txt.gz files in
archives/private/<listname>/ contain edited mbox files for that
period. These are available from the web interface and can be used for
searching. They should not be used for rebuilding the archive as the
headers have been edited.