[Mailman-Users] From field ?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 26 07:09:05 CEST 2005

Paul Reilly wrote:

>Is it possible to set the From field in the messages that the list
>sends out? At the moment it appears as:
>
>listname-request at domain.com
>
>But I'd like a decriptive field in there too, so the From field
>shows a gecos type name. Something like:
>
>"ListName  <listname-request at domain.com>"
>
>Is that possible?

Not without modifying code.

You could look at the definition of GetRequestEmail() in
Mailman/MailList.py. This could easily be changed to return what you
want, but it's used in a lot of places and I don't know that something
won't break, i.e. no warranties - try at your own risk.

e.g. change

    def GetRequestEmail(self):
        return self.getListAddress('request')

to (watch the line wrap)