[Mailman-Users] encoding problem (french)

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Mon Oct 3 23:01:57 CEST 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 23:18, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The difference here is the stuff with html escapes comes from the
> templates/fr/listinfo.html template and the other comes from
> translated messages in messages/fr/LC_MESSAGES/

I've taken the mailman.po file in that directory and converted it
(with iconv) to utf-8. Now all that needs to be done is compile it
into a .mo and I should be able to have a utf-8 french interface.

Only problem is the .po will not compile. Of course, I tried
compiling the original .po just to make sure I hadn't messed things
up with iconv, and it doesn't compile either :-(

error message: mailman.po.old:4325:33: invalid control sequence
mailman.po.old:6507: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end
with '\n'
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

I've had a look at the file at those lines, but it didn't help me
much. Does anybody know what the problem is, or could anybody tell me
where I can lay my hands on a FR .mo which will compile?

Guilty files: http://climbtothestars.org/play/mailman.po.txt
(original, latin-1)
http://climbtothestars.org/play/mailman.po (converted, utf-8)

Thanks in advance,