[Mailman-Users] List blocking due to bounces

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 18 09:52:31 CEST 2005

At 10:45 AM +0400 2005-10-18, =?Windows-1251?B?yu7i4Ovl7eruIMji4O0=?= wrote:

>  Is there a possibility that a whole lists get blocked for a certain
>  number of bounces recievied? Or any other way?

	Number of bounces?  I don't think so, at least not with the
standard Mailman code.

>  Generally, what are the ways of automatic list blocking?

	The versions of Mailman prior to 2.1.6 could get into some
problems where messages that are illegally formatted could wind up
blocking an entire list.  Mailman would try to process the messages,
be unable to do so, and then fail to proceed to the next message for
that list.

	Version 2.1.6 significantly increased the probability that such
problems would not block an entire list, but of course there's always
a chance that something really strange could happen.

>  We're on cpanel and yet cant get it working properly.

	CPanel may have added some code to Mailman to block lists that
are causing excessive bounces, and if that feature is available, your
supplier may have enabled it for your list.

	Unfortunately, the Mailman FAQ Wizard is down right now,
otherwise I would point you at the FAQ entry which addresses the
issue of the changes that CPanel has made to the code, etc....
However, you can see the Google cache version of the page at
<http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:y4M8jCXL-L8J:www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py%3Freq%3Dshow%26file%3Dfaq06.011.htp+&hl=en>,
or <http://tinyurl.com/at7h2>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755