[Mailman-Users] Restart Mailman and IP help

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 22 18:24:58 CEST 2005

ML wrote:

>I paid to have Mailman installed on my DirectAdmin CentOS server a few
>months ago, recently I had to change the server hostname and IP and Mailman
>no longer sends out emails! (the people that originally installed Mailman
>will fix the problem if I pay for a one hour support charge, but I believe
>it is just a matter of updating to the new IP or hostname)

This is covered in the FAQ - article 4.29. Be sure not to overlook the
section on 'Existing vs. new lists'

>Also:
>1) I can't find the mm_cfg.py file! Where should it be?

Depending on how Mailman was installed on your system there can be just
one, two or more directories containing mailman. Mailman is often
installed in a single directory, sometimes referred to as $prefix.
Sometimes, mutable data is in a second directory referred to
$var-prefix. Sometimes wrappers can be in a third directory.

If Mailman was installed from source, there may also be the directory
in which Mailman was unpacked and configured.

Do

find / -name Mailman

to find the Mailman directory which should be at the top level within
the $prefix directory, but you might also find one in the source
directory. Normally there will be only one Mailman directory that
contains both *.py and *.pyc files and this will contain mm_cfg.py.

>2) how exactly do I restart mailman, what directory must I be in?

You don't need to be in a specific directory. You start and stop
mailman with $prefix/bin/mailmanctl. Assuming you're in the $prefix
directory,

bin/mailmanctl --help

will give the documentation.

Also, depending on how Mailman was installed there may be a script in
some place like /etc/init.d/mailman or /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailman which
you can look at.

>Does anyone know where on Mailman or server I need to enter/change the new
>IP or hostname?

If I understand this question correctly, the answer is the subject of
the above referenced FAQ.