[Mailman-Users] Migrating lists from old system

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 24 06:55:09 CEST 2005

Dwight Tovey wrote:

>Mark Sapiro said:
>>
>> The preferred method is to move the lists/listname/* files over, rather
>> than moving the list configuration and membership as you did.
>>

>Not a problem.  I'm still running on the old system, so I can blow
>everything away on the new system and start over (I should have said I
>copied the archives instead of moved them).  Right now I'm just trying to
>make sure that I have the procedures in place.  When I'm set I'll stop
>smtp on the old system, transfer everything to the new system, and reset
>the DNS pointers to the new one.  I want to make this as transparent as
>possible for the users, so I'm testing the hell out of everything before I
>make the switch.
>
>Thanks for the info.  Will Mailman translate the config.db files to
>config.pck?

In your case, I'd recommend starting with just the site list on the new
system and then copying the lists/ and archives/ directories.

The new Mailman will automatically translate the old format files in
lists/ as they are used.

There may be a problem with pending requests (held messages, pending
subscriptions, etc.) if any. I'm not sure where these are in 2.0.13.
In 2.1.5, they moved from a global data/pending.pck file to individual
lists/listname/pending.pck files. If you upgraded a 2.0.13
installation to 2.1.6, the upgrade would take care of it, but I don't
know how you can 'move' this information from 2.0.13 to an already
installed 2.1.6. It would be best to deal with as many of these as
possible before the actual move.

And "testing the hell out of everything before" switching is definitely
the way to go.