[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Aug 30 22:03:56 CEST 2006

Oops... forgot to send my reply to the list too. Sorry about that
Bretton, I did not mean for you to receive it twice.

Bretton Vine wrote:

<snip>

>I understand the reason, but I need a non-technical, max 4 line rationale.
>Failing that I've been instructed to switch it off for /all/ the lists we
>host for corporate clients. Mind you that instruction stands regardless.

<snip>

>Can anyone shed some light (and yes, I've googled and gone through numerous
>FAQ answers which have bought me some time but not a reason why the default
>installation behaviour is as it is for BCC to lists etc)

I think that the answer is quite simply that it was a design decision
made based upon what the designers thought would be desirable for
most users. This is because quite often spammers use the BCC:
mechanism to try to avoid being pegged by certain anti-spam measures
that look at the number of destination addresses to help identify
bulk-mail attempts. Personally, I believe it to be a reasonable default.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from turning the
setting off. You probably would want some pretty aggressive anti-spam
filtering and possibly graylisting enabled on your incoming queue of
your MTA if you do that.

To override the default setting for NEW lists, you can add the
following to your mm_cfg.py file:

DEFAULT_REQUIRE_EXPLICIT_DESTINATION = No

This will not change anything on the existing lists, you will have to
change them individually or en mass with a withlist script.

Dragon