[Mailman-Users] A scrubber issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Dec 8 20:53:47 CET 2006

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>In honor of recent discussions on pipermail, I think I've found
>another issue with archiving, though this seems to be in
>Mailman.Scrubber.
>
>In a few recent posts to the GnuPG lists, Werner Koch sent along some
>signed patches fixing issues in the gpg code.  Unfortunately, the
>archives ate his posts[1] so we can't point others to the patches in the
>archives as nicely as one would like.

There seems to be another issue in that there is no 'link' to the
scrubbed part, just a relative URL which doesn't work.

>It seems that the problem is that both message parts lack a
>also lacks a "Content-disposition: inline" header.  If I edit the raw
>message to include a "Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii"
>header for each mime part, it passes the scrubber as is archived
>properly.
>
>From my limited reading of RFC 2045[2], it seems that a mime part
>without a content-type header should be assumed to be text/plain;
>charset=us-ascii.  Is the scrubber wrong to not assume this or are
>there too many issues with making this (apparently quite standards
>conformant) assumption?
>
>[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2006-December/029976.html
>[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt

You are correct in your assessment of why the part is scrubbed in the
first place. Also, it seems that according to sec 5.2 of RFC 2045 we
could assume 'us-ascii', but I expect this may cause other problems
with non-compliant MUAs. Tokio is responsible for a lot of scrubber
code, and he has a lot of experience with Japanese so I suspect there
is a reason we do it this way.

It seems that a good part of the problem in the above referenced
archive is that the scrubbed attachment is not given a clickable link,
and in fact the relative path given doesn't even work. I think at
least part of this must be specific to this site - perhaps a
(intentionally?) bad value for PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py.