[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Mac OS X Server 10.3: Outgoing messagesstuck in qrunner/in folder

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 14 00:31:18 CET 2006

Pierre Igot wrote:

>I am running Mailman on an Xserve running Mac OS X Server 10.3.9. The
>version of Mailman is the one included with Mac OS X Server 10.3.9.
>(It's 2.1.2.)

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.021.htp>

>I've just started experimenting with mailing lists on this server
>using Mailman. Things worked fine until I actually got to the stage
>of mass-subscribing a series of nearly 500 email addresses.
>
>I used the web-based Mailman interface to submit the list of 500
>email addresses for new subscribers, through the "Mass Subscription"
>web form. I just copied the list of email addresses (separated by
>return chars) from a text editor and pasted it in the field and
>submitted. My mistake (I think) was that I submitted the entire list
>of 500 email addresses at once. Initially it SEEMED to work, i.e. I
>got a confirmation page listing all the subscribers that had been
>added to the list.

Yes, it worked. The hangup was probably because of trying to send
notifications.

>But then I became unable to access the admin page for the list
>altogether. The server would simply not respond. I could still access
>other parts of the web-based Mailman interface, but not the pages for
>this particular list.
>
>After a bit of on-line research, I discovered that the problem was
>probably due to "locks" in the
>
>/var/mailman/locks/
>
>folder. Indeed, when I looked inside that folder, I found a whole
>series of files named:
>
>enseignants.lock
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.421.1
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7150.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7166.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7216.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7228.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7286.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7470.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7696.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7819.0
>enseignants.lock.www.cprp.ca.7918.0
>
>("www.cprp.ca" is my server and "enseignants" is the name of the list)

Yes, the problem was these locks.

>The instructions for dealing with this were not exactly clear, so I
>just removed all these files so that the "locks" folder was empty.
>After that, I was able to access the list's admin pages again. So I
>thought everything was good.
>
>Then I tried to send a message to my subscribers. (It's a receive-
>only list, so I'll be the only one sending messages.) However, the
>message that I sent never got sent to the mailing list's subscribers.
>
>After more online research, I found out that my message was actually
>stuck inside the
>
>/var/mailman/qfiles/in/
>
>folder. I also found that I could force Mailman to send the message
>by using the command:
>
>/usr/share/mailman/bin/qrunner -r All

So the mailmanctl daemon and the qrunners aren't running unless you
start the qrunners manually as above, but this isn't the way to do it.

If you had done

/usr/share/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start

you wouldn't have had to kill the qrunners.

>That worked and the message got sent out to the list (although I then
>had to control-C the process to return to the prompt).
>
>But I find that this now happens every time I want to send a message.
>The message never gets sent automatically as expected. Instead, it
>gets stuck in that /qfiles/in/ folder and I have to run the qrunner -
>r All command to get it sent.
>
>This never happened with this list before I added the 500 subscribers
>and had to fiddle with the /locks/ folder. Prior to that, when I was
>still in the stage of testing the mailing list with only a handful of
>test subscribers, everything worked fine and the messages would get
>sent automatically.

I think in Mac OSX server, Mailman is installed as a service and the
service runs mailmanctl. Somehow you have stopped the service and you
need to restart it.

>My suspicion is that the problem is due to what I did in the /locks/
>folder, that maybe I wasn't supposed to remove all the files. (I have
>kept them on a local disk in case I need to move them back to that
>folder.)

I doubt that removing the locks had anything to do with it, but you
might check ALL of Mailman's log files to see what kinds of errors and
other conditions occurred.