[Mailman-Users] Remove "/mailman" from URL?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 21 01:09:28 CET 2006

Barry Finkel wrote:

>I am not sure if this is a Mailman question or an Apache 2 question.
>I have Mailman 2.1.5+ (Ubuntu) installed on a test machine.  The URL
>for web pages is
>
>     https://lists-dev.it.example.com/mailman
>
>Since this machine will only be used for Mailman, we want to eliminate
>the "/mailman" piece of the URL.  I am not an Apache expert, but I
>could not find a way of accomplishing this.  Is there a way to do this?

There are two parts to this - making Mailman generate the URL and
making Apache do the right thing with it.

For the Mailman part, you need

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/'

in mm_cfg.py, and then you need to run fix_url on all existing lists to
update the lists' hidden web_page_url attribute. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.069.htp>.

For the Apache part, you have something like

ScriptAlias /mailman/       /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/

and you may have

These need to be changed to

ScriptAlias /       /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/

and