[Mailman-Users] user is removed, but they still receive list emails

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 17 22:11:57 CET 2006

Ron Brogden wrote:

>On Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:04, Zack Beatty wrote:
>> I've removed sevaral list members, using the Mailman
>> Admin interface.  However, they're still gettting my
>> mailings, and are threatening to complain to the spam
>> cops?  I've double checked to confirm that these email
>> addresses are NOT in my membership list.
>
>Howdy.  Have you asked this user to forward you one of the messages they have
>received with all headers intact so you can a) see if it even originated with
>your server and b) if so, compare it against your SMTP logs to see why it is
>being sent out?

In addition to Ron's suggestions, If you can personalize the list, you
can include the recipients address in the list footer for non-digest
subscribers. Also, the monthly password reminders (which you can
manually send any time if you have command line access - see
'cron/mailpasswds --help') show the address they are sent to (Assuming
of course that these users haven't opted out of reminders).

It is very likely that these users are receiving list posts via some
other 'forwarding' address that they don't remember subscribing to the
list. The Received: headers in the mesages can provide clues.