[Mailman-Users] partial (silent) non-delivery

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 19:18:17 CEST 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Is there anything in Mailman's error log? Anything in the 'shunt' queue
> (qfiles/shunt directory)?

Empty for two weeks (and that itself was installation set-up issues).

> Always, or just on problem cases? Assuming SMTPDirect is unmodified, it
> always adds a "Sender: ourlist-bounces at our.site" header to the
> outgoing message. Thus, deletion of Sender: must be happening after
> Mailman.

Just problem cases.  Good emails have both fields (as shown above);  bad
emails have just the "From" but with "Sender"-like contents (as above).

> So this only occurs on the problem mails? wierd!

Yes!

> There are no extra debugging switches to get more log output.
>
> You could do the following:
>
> Edit the file Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py
>
> The last line in the file is:
>
>     failures.update(refused)
>
> Following this, add
>
>     syslog('smtp', 'Msgid: %s, Chunk sent to: %s', msgid, recips)
>
> Indent this the same amount (4 spaces) as the line above. This will log
> the list of recipients for each (possibly only one depending on other
> settings) SMTP transaction. After editing the file, you need to do
> 'bin/mailmanctl restart' to load the changed module.

Done (edit and 'bin/mailmanctl restart').  I think I got it right!

I'll await the next email (or two) through the list.

Thanks again.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :