[Mailman-Users] newbie: Who is mailman at domain.com

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 12 17:25:07 CEST 2006

onesir mail wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:

>>onesir mail wrote:

>> >Unfortunately lots of web-sites are co-hosted at this site all with a
>>>central mailman administration.  I expect users who send a message to
>>>mailman at mydomain.com expect the message to be routed to me.  It seems
>>>impractical for a couple of hundred distinct web-sites to share a
>>>central mailman admin list.  Oh well.
>>

>> Yes, that is a problem when several domains share the same Mailman
>> installation.
>>
>> I suggest that you subscribe to the mailman list. The site
>> administration should allow any domain administrator to subscribe.
>> That way you will receive messages sent to mailman at mydomain.com, and
>> those sent to mailman at the.other.domains,com as well, and you can
>> filter out the others and see those of interest to you.
>
>I have applied to subscribe.  I suspect our list isn't actively monitored as
>I haven't heard anything yet (12 hours).  There may well be privacy issues
>with receiving mailman messages for other domains (one suspects that the
>bulk of the traffic would be complaints).

I had another thought. You said you are on a cPanel installation. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>
and understand from that that I may well not know what I'm talking
about, but cPanel has patched Mailman to support lists of the same
name in different domains. The site list is quite likely an area that
is handled differently, but you could try just creating a
mailman at mydomain.com list (which cPanel will create with an internal
name of mailman_mydomain.com) and see if it will receive mail sent to
the mailman at mydomain.com address.