[Mailman-Users] No E-mail from mailman/postfix

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Thu May 11 20:55:26 CEST 2006

I wrote:

>>> did step 13 in the installation instructions - Create your first
>>>mailing list.  The fourth bullet is
>>>
>>>     o Check your email for a message from Mailman informing you that
>>>       your new mailing list was created.
>>>
>>>The web page after I had clicked on "Create List" had this text:
>>>
>>>               Mailing list creation results
>>>     You have successfully created the mailing list mmtestlist1 and
>>>     notification has been sent to the list owner [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>     You can now:
>>>         * Visit the list's info page
>>>         * Visit the list's admin page
>>>         * Create another list
>>>
>>>There was no mail from my mailman/postfix system.  I see nothing in
>>>
>>>    /var/log/syslog
>>>
>>>from postfix.  Yesterday I did step 8 (Create a site-wide mailing list);
>>>the last piece is
>>>
>>>     You should also subscribe yourself to the site list.
>>>
>>>I did that, and there also was no mail from mailman/postfix.
>>>I do see in logs/vette one line for each of my attempts:
>>>
>>>     May 08 13:43:07 2006 (16295) mailman: held subscription request
>>>       from .....
>>>
>>>Where do I look to see what the problem might be?  Thanks.

And Patrick Bogen replied:

>>Check your web interface, logging in with the moderator/admin
>>password, and approve the subscription request. Then, try re-sending a
>>message to the site list.

And Mark Sapiro replied:

>Your held subscription requests can be approved as Patrick notes. They
>are being held because Privacy options...->Subscription
>rules->subscribe_policy is set to "Require approval" or "Confirm and
>approve".

I approved the subscription request, and there still is no e-mail from
mailman to postfix and back to me.  When I run

     bin/show_qfiles qfiles/retry*

I see ten mail messages queued.  There is no indication of why they
are queued, and there is no evidence from the postfix

    /var/log/syslog

that the mail was even sent to postfix.  In the logs directory I have

     errors - one error report from a few days ago when I ran a command
              before I started the qrunner

     subscribe - One line for a subscription via admin approval

     vette     - Three lines for subscription requests held pending
                 approval

There are zero-length files in that logs directory

     post
     qrunner
     smtp
     smtp-failure

I have not sent any test mail to the site-wide list or to a test list
I created yesterday.  If I have 10 messages queued, I assume (maybe
incorrectly) that new mail will also remain queued.

The ten pieces of queued mail are:

      01) The mailing list `mailman' has just been created for you.
      02) Your authorization is required for a mailing list
          subscription request ...
      03) Your authorization is required for a mailing list
          subscription request ...
      04) You are not allowed to post to this mailing list ...
          (I sent a "help" e-mail to mailman at zeus.)
      05) You are not allowed to post to this mailing list ...
          (I sent another "help" e-mail to mailman at zeus.)
      06) You are not allowed to post to this mailing list ...
          (I sent another "help" e-mail to mailman at zeus.)
      07) Your authorization is required for a mailing list
          subscription request ...
      08) The mailing list `mmtestlist1' has just been created for you.