[Mailman-Users] Umbrella lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 18 01:10:27 CEST 2006

Lori Christensen wrote:

>		We are currently trying to implement mailman lists on
>our campus.  Implementation of normal lists has gone well but when we
>try to set up an umbrella list it doesn't seem to work. It shows the
>lists as subscribed to the main list and we've set the privacy options
>but somewhere we must have something selected or not selected that makes
>them run properly. Is it possible for you to send a link that would show
>how both the main list of the umbrella list is set up and also how the
>sub lists within it are set up?  We have a feeling it may be we don't
>have something chosen correctly.

It might be easier if you just told us exactly what happens when a post
is sent to the umbrella list and exactly what privacy options you have
set.

Note the following:

A post to the umbrella must come from a member of the umbrella list or
someone in accept_these_nonmembers of the umbrella (see
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
for a way to include the members of the sub lists) or
default_nonmember_action for the umbrella must be accept (or at least
not reject or discard). Similar considerations apply to the sub-lists
with respect to the address the sub-list will determine sent the post.

The umbrella should be in acceptable_aliases of the sub-lists or they
should have require_explicit_destination set to No.