[Mailman-Users] automatically subscribe

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 5 20:19:04 CEST 2006

John Heim wrote:

>I am thinking that I could do this via the email interface. Ie. Generate a
>mail message to faculty-request. That sort of works. The only problem is
>that I need to do it as the list administrator or moderator so that the user
>doesn't get a confirmation message. Essentially, I need it to work as if I
>used add_members. With add_members, the user just gets a message that he has
>been subscribed.
>

>Can I authenticate as list administrator and then subscribe some other email
>address?

There are two reasons why this doesn't work.

1) 'set authenticate' is only effective for subsequent 'set' commands.

2) even if you use the list admin password and the list owners email
address in address=, you are still authenticating the 'member', not
the 'owner' (in fact, you'll get an error if the owner isn't a member).

For a different approach see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-October/053679.html>
and the other post to which it refers.