[Mailman-Users] mailman no longer working

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Oct 8 05:46:22 CEST 2006

Noah wrote:

>okay well there were no relevant "SHUNT" messages in logs/error . how
>else could I have figure this out from bin/dumpdb ?

You can't. In general, there may be nothing at all wrong with the
message that was shunted. It may be shunted due to a software error or
some other condition not directly related to the message itself. But,
if you don't find out what the error was and do something about it,
unshunting will likely just cause the message to encounter the same
error and be shunted again.

The mystery here is where the error log entries went. The code (at
least our code, I can't speak for FreeBSD) always writes the error log
when shunting a message (unless permissions prevent writing the error
log in which case, that exception kills the runner).

I would as root do

find / -name error

and see which of the resultant files look like Mailman error logs and
whether any of those contain the 'missing' log entries.