[Mailman-Users] Using a remote email account as a message source

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 14 16:28:32 CEST 2006

BigglesZX wrote:

>Okay, the problem was with my MTA - Exim was not set up to play with
>mailman, so after following the advice given in the Exim-mailman
>readme, I have made some progress. The test messages sent previously
>were being frozen by Exim because it was not correctly set up to
>handle messages to mailman.

I don't know which Exim-mailman readme you followed, but some of our
documentation is not complete. See
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html>.

>The problem now is with group mismatch - my mails are getting through
>to mailman but the following is returned as an error:
>
>  Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>  wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but
>  the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>  group "Debian-exim".

If you are setting 'user' and 'group' in your Exim Mailman transport,
and they are not effective, it is because you are not starting Exim as
root. According to the above, you should be setting 'group' to
'daemon' or to some macro (MAILMAN_GROUP or MM_GROUP depending on what
docs you followed) which is set to 'daemon'.

If you installed from source, you could instead rerun configure with
the option --with-mail-gid=Debian-exim and then 'make install'.

There may also be some Debian package way to change the group expected
by the wrappers, but I don't know what that is.

You may find
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
of interest.