[Mailman-Users] Personalization Question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 20 01:15:22 CEST 2006

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    I'm helping a customer set up three new lists and am running against
>a small issue.  I have OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION turned on and
>when we send a message to the list address, the message has:
>
>    Subject: [whatever subject]
>    From: <whoever posted the message>
>    Sender: <[listname]-bounces at hostname>
>    Date: <posted date>
>    To: <subscriber at address.com>
>    CC: <[listname]@hostname.com>
>
>    How do I get rid of the Sender and CC lines?

The Sender: header with listname-bounces is in every post sent by
Mailman whether personalized or not. Whether or not and how you see it
depends on the MUA (email client) you use to read the message. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp>.
You can remove it only by hacking Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py as
mentioned in the FAQ.

The Cc: listname is intentionally added to facilitate replying to the
list. If you set reply_goes_to_list to 'this list' (not recommended)
or set anonymous_list to 'yes' it won't be added, but otherwise, you
can only remove it by modifying Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py.