[Mailman-Users] Mx Records and Mailmans use of a domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 6 03:28:25 CEST 2010

Ty Nelson wrote:

>In the beginning I was initially told that a shortcut moethod of getting
>mailman to work with a domain was to just remove the domains mx records.
> This has worked.  My question is, how can I make it so my domain can still
>have email working on the domain, as well as mailman?  As of now, mailman is
>all the domain is used for.  Probably a dumb question, but how should I
>setup my domains mx records so that the hosting company email still
>functions with the domain, and mailman can also use the domain?

I assume the Mailman server is not the same as the hosting company's
mail server. In that case, you have two choices. You can leave your
domain with no MX and only an A record (or an MX that points to the
domain) and teach your MTA to relay non-Mailman-list mail to the
hosting company's server, or you can set your domain's MX to point to
the hosting company server and teach it to relay all Mailman list mail
to your server.