[Mailman-Users] Bounce notification not handled normally

Keith Blackie kblackie at resourcecad.com
Tue May 25 22:14:17 CEST 2010

I have a situation where subscriber email addresses are being bounced after
the failed address has been forwarded to an autoresponder. The problem is
that the mailman strips the sender's address out of the response before it
is sent to the administrator for action.

On the mailing list, I have the unsubscribe threshold set to 3 bounces, but
the email response (bounce), while being recognized as a bounce, it
processed as a post to the mailing list and is subsequently sent out to all
list members, further, the sender is stripped from the headers and I cannot
identify which account it comes from, since the autoresponder does not
follow the usual process of identifying the offending mailbox in the body of
the autoresponse.

I hope this is clear, and that I can find some configuration that resolves
the issue ... previously to identify one of these email addresses, I had to
send an email, then immediately unsubscribe everyone from the mailing list
and let mailman respond with an unhandled bounce notification, only then was
I able to identify the offending address ... but then I had to re-subscribe
every list member, and while it only takes a minute to do so it is a real
pain.

Thanks!

Keith