[Mailman-Users] Advice on new install of Mailman to CentOS 5

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 20 21:17:13 CET 2011

Richard Damon wrote:

>The question comes in that the CentOS 5 distribution only has a RPM
>for Mailman 2.1.9, instead of the recently released 2.1.14, so the
>question comes do I use the RPM from the distribution and run a
>version several years old, or is it better to install from a direct
>download.

Quoting from the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/tIA9>

  It is possible to trick Plesk into recognizing newer versions
  installed manually but it's not for the faint of heart.

>I am working of a fresh install so I don't need to worry
>about migrating existing list on the server, but I definitely want to
>be able to import the existing lists from the old server. (And will
>probably do at least one dry run of the migration to a different
>domain name just to make sure I know how to do this and that things
>work before moving the live site).

The actual migration of list data from the old to the new installation
should be straightforward as long as the new installation is the same
or a newer version. See the initial section of the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9>, and note that you may need to run
fix_url to update list domains and this should be done prior to
regenerating archives.