[Mailman-Users] Ubuntu release of Mailman

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Fri May 11 22:03:47 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 12:30 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> They don't eliminate the Mailman user. They just call it 'list' rather
> than 'mailman'.

Actually, it's barely the same thing.  It appears that qrunner gets run
as user 'list' out of the mailman init script, but all other Mailman
components are owned by root, group list, albeit all the executables
have group execute enabled.

I've twisted Mailman 2 in a number of ways, including integrating the
namazu list search tool with it for my servers.  I'll probably install
it from source, as I've done previously, and run with it that way.  It
may make for more maintenance work later, but the initial installation
will probably be easier, and it's only one of very many pieces on a new
server which need to be hammered into shape.

Thanks.

--
Lindsay Haisley       |  "Humor will get you through times of no humor
FMP Computer Services |      better than no humor will get you through