[Python-3000] Py3k_struni additional test failures under cygwin

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 31 21:58:23 CEST 2007

On 7/31/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >> Is this also a restriction on CYGWIN? I don't know
> >> anything about CYGWIN but I could imagine that they allow unlink() to
> >> succeed when there's still a file descriptor referencing it, and that
> >> they will delete the file when you close it.
> >
> > Exactly. That is exactly what they do.
>
> Not exactly; it's not possible with Win32 to do that.
>
> What they do instead is
> 1. try to delete the file. If that fails for sharing
>    violation, try 2.
> 2. move the file to the recycle bin, and set the
>    "delete" disposition flag on the file, this will
>    cause it to be removed from the recycle bin when
>    the last handle is closed.

I don't understand how that approach would cause the permission error
when trying to create the same file later again. Unless (a) I don't
understand the phrase "move it to the recycle bin" (is this a rename()
call?), or (b) you're describing the new version that was submitted 2
days ago (but not yet released).