[Python-Dev] Import compromise

Paul Moore lists@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:34:25 +0000

Aahz <aahz@pythoncraft.com> writes:

> Split the PEP 273 patch into two parts.  The first part is the
> absolutely critical modifications to import.c, which basically boils
> down to making a function call every time you access a '*.zip'
> string on sys.path.  Everything else goes into zipimport.c, a
> compiled-in module like socket.  (I'd even support making
> zipimport.c an include file for import.c)

Who's going to write this code? I can't - my involvement has been in
updating Jim's patch to make it apply cleanly to current CVS, testing
it a little, and making some bugfix-type changes. I don't feel
qualified to do the major surgery you're suggesting.

Frankly, there are only 2 relevant chunks of code - Jim's patch and
Just's. The disadvantages of Jim's have been spelled out, and remain
true. Its main advantage is that it works now. Just's patch is far
better in theory. It remains to be seen if he can deliver working code
in the necessary timeframe (whatever that is...). Of course, in the
absence of code, we all get to have a lot of fun talking about what
might go wrong if it works the way we assume it does, but we've got to
while away the time somehow :-)

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank