[Python-Dev] Import compromise

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:47:00 +0100

Martin wrote:

> I disagree with this analysis. Time is not running short for Python 2.3

In addition to the schedule issues (and nothing says that the zip importer
has to be in the first alpha), Aahz also ignores the fact that the people
involved has long experience of python code archives (I wrote squeeze
in 1997, and that wasn't my first archiver; Gordon has been shipping his
installer for several years, the mac folks have been using this stuff since
the early days; that's easily 10-15 years of experience of using archive
technology in real applications.  hasty indeed); he also ignores the fact
that we have two working implementations to chose from, each under-
stood by more than one programmer; that we have input from large-scale
Python users; and that this isn't some groundbreaking change to the
Python language, but merely an extension to the way the CPython
implementation uses the sys.path variable.  Etc.

If this isn't enough to get this feature into CPython 2.3, there's something
wrong with the python-dev process.

</F>