[Python-Dev] Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:13:38 +0200

Sorry for the late reply; very busy.

On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 23:55 Europe/Amsterdam, Guido van Rossum
wrote:

>> Next check was on the length of things as John had suggested.  The
>> longest
>> component is only 110 characters:
>>

>> ./Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
>> macpython_ide_tutorial/entering_in_new_window.gif
>
> This is the culprit.  In a "classic" tar file, a filename can be only
> 100 characters.  (See Lib/tarfile.py. :-)

If this is the only culprit it is easy to fix.

But we should think of a more general fix for the future.
Goldman