[Python-Dev] Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd@acm.org
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:45:23 +0200

On Tue, Jul 1 2003 Jack Jansen wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply; very busy.
>
> On Monday, Jun 30, 2003, at 23:55 Europe/Amsterdam, Guido van Rossum
> wrote:
>
> >> Next check was on the length of things as John had suggested.  The
> >> longest
> >> component is only 110 characters:
> >>

> >> ./Mac/OSXResources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
> >> macpython_ide_tutorial/entering_in_new_window.gif
> >
> > This is the culprit.  In a "classic" tar file, a filename can be only
> > 100 characters.  (See Lib/tarfile.py. :-)
>
> If this is the only culprit it is easy to fix.

While you're at it, can you also fix something else that's been
bugging me since I first started using CVS on Windows:

Whenever I do a "cvs update" (-dP implied) I get warnings about the
"Mac/IDE scripts" directory (this is using Cygwin):

$ cd "Mac/IDE scripts"; cvs update
? Hold option to open a script
? Insert file name
? Insert folder name
? Search Python Documentation
? Hack/Remove .pyc files
? Hack/Toolbox Assistant
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating Hack
cvs server: Updating Widget demos

The problem is, Windows doesn't allow multiple periods in file names,
and all these file names should end in "...".

Not using -d is not a reasonable option.

-- Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@acm.org>