[Python-Dev] New branch for r23c2 work

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:58:52 +0100

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

[the hoary old bind()-in-a-loop-is-slow-on-OS-X problem]

> I think we've concluded that it's okay to ship 2.3 with this problem
> unresolved, however I'm completely befuddled at the moment.  I wrote this
> simple program:

I spent a while playing with this last night, to no particular
resolution.  A few observations:

1) It would be nice to find out what lookupd is up to during the loop.
   I couldn't find out how to get it to tell me (for one thing, the
   lookupd(8) manpage seems to be very out of date wrt. locating
   config info).

2) One obvious difference between the slow Python program and the fast
   C program is that Python has calls to bind() in between the calls
   to getaddrinfo()... maybe this (or something else) causes lookupd
   to toss its cache for some reason?

3) We're not the first to bump into this:
    http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krb5-bugs/2003-March/000701.html
    http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krb5-bugs/2003-March/000708.html
   That bug doesn't seem to resolved beyond "blame Apple" (hmm,
   familiar :-).

I don't think there's much we can do about this, unless there's a
NetInfo wizard in the house.

Cheers,
M.

--