[Python-Dev] New branch for r23c2 work

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:58:26 PDT

> 1) It would be nice to find out what lookupd is up to during the loop.
>    I couldn't find out how to get it to tell me (for one thing, the
>    lookupd(8) manpage seems to be very out of date wrt. locating
>    config info).
>
> 2) One obvious difference between the slow Python program and the fast
>    C program is that Python has calls to bind() in between the calls
>    to getaddrinfo()... maybe this (or something else) causes lookupd
>    to toss its cache for some reason?

I'm sure Jack has better data than this, but NetInfo can be the source
of much delay, on 10.2.x, because it runs old and rather poorly
written "plugins" to gather data to resolve address info.  The
solution appears to be: make sure that your local NetInfo DB doesn't
have a "locations" key, and that you have enabled "BSD Configuration
Files", and disabled "NetInfo", using the "Directory Access" app.
This can speed up address info lookups by two orders of magnitude.

Bill