[Python-Dev] 2.5b1 Windows install

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jul 5 05:04:29 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone else tried doing an admin install with "compile .py files"
>> checked?  It's causing my install to blow up, but I'd prefer to assume
>> it's some weird Windows config/bug unless other people also have it, in
>> which case I'll file an SF report.
>
> It works fine for me. One way for it to fail is if you uncompilable
> modules in the target directory. Currently, it invokes
>
>   [TARGETDIR]python.exe -Wi [TARGETDIR]Lib\compileall.py -f -x
> bad_coding|badsyntax|site-packages [TARGETDIR]Lib
>
> where TARGETDIR is, well, the target directory of the installation.
> You could try to run this after you installed Python without pyc
> compilation, to see whether it succeeds.

Ah-ha!  I haven't actually tested this directly, but I bet I know what's
going on: this isn't properly quoted and fails with TARGETDIR of
"C:\Program Files\Python25" because of the space.  I did test to see that
it works fine with "C:\Python25"

Shall I file a bug?  Or do you want to just document this as a
limitation?

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes