[Python-Dev] Python Style Sheets ? Re: User's complaints

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 18 19:04:32 CEST 2006

On 7/17/06, Boris Borcic <bborcic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > You must be misunderstanding.
>
> I don't think so. You appeared to say that the language changes too much because
> everyone wants different changes - that accumulate. I suggested a mechanism
> allowing people to see only the changes they want - or none at all - might be
> devised.

Oh, but don't fool yourself into thinking that that's not a language
change -- and an extremely drastic one at that. Nobody will be able to
read other people's source code any more without first applying the
conversion tool -- which is kind of painful when you're confronted
with a code snippet in email or a book, for example.

Let me rephrase that. I don't believe your proposal solves that
problem, *and* I don't think it's a good idea for other reasons. Am I
clear now? :-)